STA Network Home

STA Front Page

Surfing The Apocalypse Network

Forum Index | News and Conversations | Log in | Register | Help

Surfing The Apocalypse is Reader Supported.

Please consider making a donation by clicking the button below.

North Korea - No Easy Answers (STA BREAKING NEWS and ARCHIVES)

by chazzz @, USA, Saturday, July 08, 2017, 12:16 @ pragnos

The North Korean issue has no easy answers. If they are recognized as a nuclear power and treated with some degree of equality, it does reduce the immediate crisis, but there are two long term potential problems:

(1) Will they sell or trade nuclear weapons to well funded terrorist groups or unstable nations?
(2) Will this encourage other potential bad actors to gain nuclear weapons?

On the other hand, the nightmare senario for me of a US preemptive attack on North Korea is just how far will they escalate? If the Kim family sees this as an existential threat to their hold over North Korea I do not think they would stop at threatening anything - And if provoked and called on that, they would do everything possible to strike at the USA. That at the very least puts tens of thousands of US servicemen and women in the region in harms way and ten times that in the civilians in South Korea. I recall reading about North Korea having diesel electric subs with short range missile launch capabilities. They are slow, but quiet. Do we have confidence that the US Navy could locate and sink everyone of them? Just one nuclear kamikaz submarine attack on the US West Coast would be unacceptable - Even if we complely destroyed North Korea.

---
Chazzz

Share/Bookmark
  131 viewsreport

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread

243644 Postings in 105335 Threads, 514 registered users, 106 users online (0 registered, 106 guests)
RSS Postings  RSS Threads | Contact
Privacy Policy | Home | Main | Index