STA Network Home

STA Front Page

Surfing The Apocalypse Network

Forum Index | News and Conversations | Log in | Register | Help

Surfing The Apocalypse is Reader Supported.

Please consider making a donation by clicking the button below.

UPDATE: USS FITZGERALD & PHILLIPINE CARGO SHIP (STA BREAKING NEWS and ARCHIVES)

by FordPrefect @, North Florida, Saturday, June 17, 2017, 20:00 @ pravdaseeker

Pravda:

Your beer can analogy is pretty close to right, as the Burke class destroyers are all aluminum. Look up the all aluminum HMS Sheffield to see just how such a ship fairs in real combat. Note also that the USS Cole was so badly damaged by explosives in a nearby dingy that she had to be brought home in a floating dry dock. I just don't think aluminum boats are all that great when shells and missiles start flying for real.

Looking at the damage photos I think the Fitz's crew have some serious questions to answer. Given that the impact damage is on the starboard quarter, the Fitz appears to be at fault. Navigation rules clearly state that in a crossing situation the vessel to starboard has the right of way. Then maybe they don't teach Chapman at the Navy's Boat School anymore.

---
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. (Galileo Galilei)

Share/Bookmark
  105 viewsreport

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread

243385 Postings in 105182 Threads, 514 registered users, 123 users online (0 registered, 123 guests)
RSS Postings  RSS Threads | Contact
Privacy Policy | Home | Main | Index