STA Network Home

STA Front Page

Surfing The Apocalypse Network

Forum Index | News and Conversations | Log in | Register | Help

Surfing The Apocalypse is Reader Supported.

Please consider making a donation by clicking the button below.

The billionaire GOP patron behind Trump's social media bot army (STA BREAKING NEWS and ARCHIVES)

by Theresa @, Sunday, June 11, 2017, 06:34

This is not a put-down thread, I am genuinely drawn to learning about "bots.'
This is a new element I don't think any (perhaps a few) have used before like this. I am researching now..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A GOP donor who once had ties to IBM is the man behind the millions of Twitter bots President Trump counts on as followers who could be employed to target voters with misleading or fake news on social media.

In order for it to work, the scheme relies on the quiet guidance of Robert Mercer, a reclusive Republican mega-donor and staunch Trump supporter, sources told the Daily News.

Mercer, who during the campaign with help from his daughter Rebekah, played a below-the-radar — but integral — role in raising money for Trump and connected him with critical figures like Stephen Bannon.

He’s a former computer scientist who, decades ago, helped build the technology at IBM that the computer giant would later use to create its Watson super-computer. He also helped other companies like Apple form the basis for its Siri platform.

Trump, meanwhile, has accrued among his 30 million Twitter followers — 15 million of which are actually bots that experts have told the Daily News could be “weaponized” to spread fake and misleading news stories that favor the White House or distract from the scandals it now faces.

FULL STORY

Share/Bookmark
  168 viewsreport

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread

244563 Postings in 105899 Threads, 514 registered users, 130 users online (0 registered, 130 guests)
RSS Postings  RSS Threads | Contact
Privacy Policy | Home | Main | Index