STA Network Home

STA Front Page

Surfing The Apocalypse Network

Forum Index | News and Conversations | Log in | Register | Help

Surfing The Apocalypse is Reader Supported.

Please consider making a donation by clicking the button below.

Montgomery Ward and Sears (STA BREAKING NEWS and ARCHIVES)

by pragnos @, Saturday, May 13, 2017, 11:53 @ chazzz

Chazzz;

If you really want a fat book for the outdoors potty experience try a Grainger catalog! They are serious weapons. They carry almost everything in the way of hardware. They aren't necessarily cheap, but they can order stuff for fairly short delay in delivery. In 2011, I was working with a grad student to build a still powered by the exhaust heat of a small Honda 2.5 kw portable generator engine and we basically had to design the system based on what we could buy from Grainger's catalog and other off the shelf hardware store supplies. I got to know their inventories quite well. I still have many left over plumbing fittings that I will likely never use. BTW, the students project was completed and he received his MS degree. As a part time adjunct I was given unofficial credit as the student's thesis advisor. It was a lot of fun and hard work.

One can buy a ~1 m2 plate frame heat exchanger from suppliers like Duda Diesel. The trick is to remove the stock spark arrestor muffle and attach the heat exchanger directly to the exhaust fitting on the engine head. It takes a shop to make a flange adapter so that in our case we could use a pipe thread with a piece of SS flex tubing to connect the heat exchanger. One could use this with a pump and some plumbing to heat water while the generator is making electricity for other uses. It is a small scale example of combined heat and power (CHP). The exhaust under load is over 500 C! You can easily boil water with that. If you would like more details, I can send you a pdf of the student's thesis paper. --pragnos

Share/Bookmark
  105 viewsreport

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread

243025 Postings in 104968 Threads, 514 registered users, 115 users online (2 registered, 113 guests)
RSS Postings  RSS Threads | Contact
Privacy Policy | Home | Main | Index