STA Network Home

STA Front Page

Surfing The Apocalypse Network

Forum Index | News and Conversations | Log in | Register | Help

Surfing The Apocalypse is Reader Supported.

Please consider making a donation by clicking the button below.

ON NUCLEAR WAR (STA BREAKING NEWS and ARCHIVES)

by FordPrefect @, North Florida, Thursday, April 20, 2017, 21:20 @ CatFan

The website at the LINK calculates the effects of a nuclear burst at any selected location. An airburst or ground burst can also be specified along with the number of casualties at various radii from the center. Just for fun, I selected Tulsa with a 1000ft air burst centered on downtown and 100kt explosive yield. The program told me there would be over 1.3 million casualties with 700,000 deaths. Not something to be taken lightly.

I think the map CatFan provided is a little unrealistic. The only country with nuclear capability to attack even a portion of the "target rich" environment shown on CF's map is Russia and that would involve an all out effort with many MIRVed missiles. For sure North Korea and Iran on their worst of days don't even come close. So when all things are considered, we might want to be just a little bit nicer to the Russians.

If you haven't read "On The Beach" I would recommend doing so. It's a good book. The movie was OK but the book is so much better. I also suggest "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank. It's a much better take on nuclear war and it's aftermath. Perhaps I relate to Frank's work since I grew up in the central Florida area where "Alas Babylon" is set. It was sure interesting living there during the Cuban Missile Crisis, right between two large USAF bases I might add. One of which was a SAC base with real B-52s and real nukes. Anyway the books are great, try them.

---
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. (Galileo Galilei)

Share/Bookmark
  174 viewsreport

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread

242962 Postings in 104936 Threads, 514 registered users, 52 users online (3 registered, 49 guests)
RSS Postings  RSS Threads | Contact
Privacy Policy | Home | Main | Index