STA Network Home

STA Front Page

Surfing The Apocalypse Network

Forum Index | News and Conversations | Log in | Register | Help

Surfing The Apocalypse is Reader Supported.

Please consider making a donation by clicking the button below.

SPECIAL OLYMPICS?? (STA BREAKING NEWS and ARCHIVES)

by CatFan @, Green Country, USA, Sunday, March 19, 2017, 10:20 @ ConcernedCitizen

I never watch it. The whole thing smells of a psyop but I'm not sure just what about. I get the idea that every person deserves applause and commendation for doing things well, but the SO seems strange to me.

Down Syndrome retardation is a unique form of mental and physical handicaps. Depending on the severity, the person may or may not function well enough to participate in society. But there are other types of problems. I have a neighbor with severe handicap due to cerebral palsy or such. He requires 24/7 live in caretakers (who are great folks by the way.)

Tulsa used to have an institution in a nearby town operated by the state where profoundly retarded or damaged youngsters were placed by families who could not care for them. It was uncommon in the 50's to even see a retarded person on the street. It was assumed they could not be helped so they were institutionalized.

As I recall, it was the late 60's when laws were changed and the state mental asylums and state homes for the retarded were closed to "protect their rights". Now, children with great handicaps are taken to public school in special buses where they are in special classes. I have no personal info on how that is working out.

The mentally ill were simply dumped on the street where many now live as homeless persons.

I don't know what the right answer is to all of this, but I think that pushing these damaged people out of the door to force their families to care for them, or fend for themselves is not the compassionate answer.

Share/Bookmark
  120 viewsreport

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread

242962 Postings in 104936 Threads, 514 registered users, 49 users online (3 registered, 46 guests)
RSS Postings  RSS Threads | Contact
Privacy Policy | Home | Main | Index