STA Network Home

STA Front Page

Surfing The Apocalypse Network

Forum Index | News and Conversations | Log in | Register | Help

Surfing The Apocalypse is Reader Supported.

Please consider making a donation by clicking the button below.

FUNDAMENTALISM IN MOST IF NOT ALL OF ITS FORMS... (STA BREAKING NEWS and ARCHIVES)

by Theresa @, Thursday, February 16, 2017, 13:04 @ Old_Ponter

Fundamentalism in most forms, if not all, have dark, dark histories, the acts of murder that have been committed in the NAME of God are abhorent.

For example, there were several movements that all fell under the umbrella of "The Crusades, The first of the Crusades began in 1095, when armies of Christians from Western Europe responded to Pope Urban II’s plea to go to war against Muslim forces in the Holy Land. After the First Crusade achieved its goal with the capture of Jerusalem in 1099, the invading Christians set up several Latin Christian states, even as Muslims in the region vowed to wage holy war (jihad) to regain control over the region. Deteriorating relations between the Crusaders and their Christian allies in the Byzantine Empire culminated in the sack of Constantinople in 1204 during the Third Crusade. Near the end of the 13th century, the rising Mamluk dynasty in Egypt provided the final reckoning for the Crusaders, toppling the coastal stronghold of Acre and driving the European invaders out of Palestine and Syria in 1291.

SOURCE

Most of these events are said to have been an exercise in "Papal Authority."

I wonder how many of these people from these events could ever imagine that these events would still be playing themselves out in one way or another in our present day?

It is said that approximately 1.7 million people died in these crusades.

FOR MORE HISTORY OF THE CRUSADES CLICK HERE

And when you really break it down to its origin? It's about two half-brothers fighting over who is heir apparent, Abraham's sons, Issac and Ishmael.

Isaac was the only son of Abraham and Sarah, and the father of Esau and Jacob, who God renamed Israel. The patriarchs are often named together in both the Old Testament and New Testament e.g. when speaking to Moses, God said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." (Exodus 3:6 RSV).

Isaac's birth came about from a miracle - Abraham was 100 years old when Isaac was born (Genesis 21:5), and Sarah, at age 90, had been unable to have children (Genesis 16:1, 17:17). As explained by God:

"Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac. I will establish My covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him. As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I will bless him and make him fruitful and multiply him exceedingly; he shall be the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation." (Genesis 17:19-20 RSV).

SOURCE

So, there is where the trouble comes from. Issac inherited God's 'covenant'. Issac was NOT the first born (Who usually is the inheritor). His first born was Ishmael and was actually born of Abraham's wife's handmaiden who Sarah had Abraham 'go into' because she believed she (Sarah) was barren and she and Abraham really wanted a son to carry on the line of Abraham.

But then God did also promise Ishmael he would be blessed and the father of 12 tribes.

SO, in all actuality, this is where all of the religious wars of the middle east stem from. IMHO

Of course it is a bit more complex but.....

I think it's long past time to stop fighting each other and get along....

But HOW to accomplish THAT?

Share/Bookmark
  219 viewsreport

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread

243385 Postings in 105182 Threads, 514 registered users, 119 users online (0 registered, 119 guests)
RSS Postings  RSS Threads | Contact
Privacy Policy | Home | Main | Index