STA Network Home

STA Front Page

Surfing The Apocalypse Network

Forum Index | News and Conversations | Log in | Register | Help

Surfing The Apocalypse is Reader Supported.

Please consider making a donation by clicking the button below.

10,000 LETTUCE A DAY INDOOR FARM. (NEWS AND CONVERSATIONS)

by gimp @, OZ. STH. CORAL SEA., Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 07:13 @ Qwibqwib

That is a sweet farm! I am 100% with you Gimp. The humans need to get their act together and populate other planets. The first step is to get the ship assembled in orbit. Then the farms could be started with the intention of leaving for the new homeworld once the farms are established.

I think one of the major problems that will need to be solved is power. How do you provide enough power to give sufficient light, water pumping, Co2 supply, drainage, waste storage (see below), life support, etc for large-scale growth in a spaceship? Solar power would work with large, efficient panels. New tech has come out to help increase efficiency.

One example is taking thin, translucent panels and stacking them so they catch more photons per square inch. Each panel is less efficient, because of the see-through feature, but when stacked, they are more efficient than a larger, conventional panel. That way you can pack them more tightly and gain numbers of panels as well as higher efficiency.

Another advance along these lines is the recent introduction of cloth like solar panels. They are thin (about 5-10mm) and lightweight, and as flexible as paper. They could be made into large streamers that would unfurl behind the ship as it progressed. They would have a shape that allowed the solar wind to orient the cells always toward the sun.

When you land on a planet, how do you provide power for your new settlement? You know, in the first few weeks while setting up a more robust power supply? You could bring generators along with fuel, pre-made and stabilized for the journey. You could save that weight and produce that fuel while in transit. Perhaps its a good idea to have multiple plans to make certain a failure does not void the whole project.

You could use a diesel engine powered by rapseed oil (from trees of same name) which you would have grown while in transit. That's a big investment. Trees take up a lot of room, but rapseed seeds produce the most oil. Maybe compromise on a smaller growing plant that gives a good amount of oil. Again, several sources is probably a good idea.

Why not use the accumulated plant matter/agricultural waste and distill some fuel for a steam engine? A triple expansion engine is very efficient and it runs on simply rainwater and fire. Its a very good way to make electricity. Check out this antique steam engine I recently restored...

Hi there Quibs. Just love your Steam engine and I must say you are the type of person I want on my team Someone who thinks and acts outside of the square. Your ideas above are not without value and I can't help but see there must be millions of like minds out there thinking along the same lines and it follows that IF we could all somehow work in tandem, the hurdles we face in getting off planet could be surmounted/solved in the blinking of an eye.

As we know, there are agencies being paid to do just that but I sense they are hamstrung by a lack of vision and or a directive from their higher ups. It's been said the military has technology hundreds of years in advance of what we are privy to. So if this true... it's truly up to us and when you look around the net and elsewhere there are scientific breakthroughs at every level at every waking minute.

All I know is .. If mankind can harness all it's accumulated knowledge [unhindered] the next great leap can be only a generation away or dare I say, even sooner.

I DARE TO DREAM.

---
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

Share/Bookmark
  841 viewsreport

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread

242092 Postings in 104414 Threads, 514 registered users, 81 users online (1 registered, 80 guests)
RSS Postings  RSS Threads | Contact
Privacy Policy | Home | Main | Index